Tuesday, January 10, 2012

possibility of a new project

when i was a senior in college, i did my honors thesis on my one true love: new jersey. i know you might be thinking, dude, really? but it is, first and foremost, the love of my life. i can't really imagine living elsewhere. why would you ever live someplace where you aren't a stone's throw away from the beach, the mountains, farms, world-class entertainment, museums, nyc, and great food (because it seems like anyplace else i've ever been, the food has been lackluster at best)? well i obviously can't answer that question. but anyway, it was on nj: myths and legends, and covered the whole weird nj thing and all kinds of questions about why nj always gets a bad rap. incidentally, most of it seems to come from the sopranos and now they cast of jersey shore, who ruined my favorite vacation spot. but i digress...
anyway, a big portion of my project dealt with william carlos williams, a prolific and profound poet who wrote the classic Paterson, which i had somehow never encountered before then, despite my years as an English major and prolific reader. i had read some of his shorter poetry, but never that particular tome. it made me fall in love. with poetry about nj. not the city paterson in particular. i have a long story about how i was scared for my life at the great falls of paterson because of insufficient signage, but that's a story for another day.
all this to say that the hubs and i are thinking about the possibility of taking on a new writing project together, and in honor of that, i'm sharing my favorite william carlos williams poem of all time. from Poems 1934:

THIS IS JUST TO SAY

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

No comments:

Post a Comment