- 1/2 (or slightly more) cup superfine white sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 cups dried sour cherries
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup fat free plain greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cherries. In a smaller bowl, blend eggs, buttermilk and yogurt. Stir the liquid mixture into flour mixture until flour is just moistened. Knead dough in bowl for approx. 30 seconds. . Dough will be super-duper sticky, so take your rings off beforehand. Place the dough in the prepared pan and pat down on top. Cut an x-shaped slit in the top of the bread. Dust top of bread with 2 t. extra flour.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 65 to 75 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy with marmalade or butter, and maybe a breakfast stout. Slainte!