Thursday, April 25, 2013

One of those days...

Today is just one of those days where I have to ask myself, why is it not a valid life choice to sit around watching 30 Rock and eating Handi-Snacks all day? I can handle all that. It's about on my level.
Is it better for me to take a baby step up and make myself a microwave lunch and research graphic novels on the internet without putting them on hold at the library, knowing that although I want to read them I'll totally forget about them later (I'm looking at you, The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. Punch by Neil Gaiman)? No, probably not.
So how is it that I will get myself together and win my battle against the pile of dishes from last night's dinner?
How am I going to get down to the basement and finish the never-ending pile of laundry?
How will I get the floors cleaned and the dog walked and dinner made and the bedroom picked up and the desk straightened up and the baby's room spring cleaned and my seasonal clothes put away?
The truth is, I probably won't do half of it.
And that's my secret. 
If I get the dishes done, the beds made, the floor swept and the dog walked, that's enough for me (some days). Everything else? It can wait. As long as I keep up on the big stuff in the main part of the house, as long as the kitchen table and counters stay pretty clear and the clutter is kept under control and the bathroom is clean, and as long as we all have clean-ish clothes and we aren't starving, I can have my slacking days when I just don't feel like I can do much else. (Like I can have my Handi-Snack days as long as I mostly keep up on my exercise regimen. No need to be extreme.)
Listen, there's no such thing as superwoman, except in the comic books. I certainly don't consider myself super-anything (except maybe super-awesome). So some days, I just need to give myself the license not to try to be her.
As long as it doesn't turn into everyday, it's necessary and healthy to give the routine a rest once in a while. It won't hurt anything in the long run, and these chances to slack off honestly don't come around often. So I'm taking this opportunity to chill out.



No comments:

Post a Comment