and now you can too:
Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cups white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree (see note at bottom if using pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 Tablespoons organic vanilla yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apple
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 teaspoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners
- In a large bowl, sift together 2 ½ cups whole wheat, 1 cup sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, pumpkin, yogurt and oil. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stirring just to moisten. Fold in apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together 4 tablespoons flour, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping evenly over muffin batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
*If using pumpkin pie filling instead of canned pumpkin, decrease sugar to ½ cup and use slightly less pumpkin pie spice.
you can totally change it up and use more apples, apple pie spice instead of pumpkin pie spice, real pumpkin (canned or not), brown sugar, regular all-purpose flour, egg replacer, whatevs.the real recipe didn't have yogurt and it had way more sugar and all-purpose flour and whatnot. i just like to shake it up. boom.